THE ETHEREAL SCENT

For many of you perfume has been a tantalising experience since childhood.The scent of your mother's Eau de Toilette,your father's Cologne,The smell of Spring/Summer in the air..Our olfactory sense is a powerful emotional tool. These are the storries I will tell and the reviews and interviews I will write about. It is the world of perfume.....

Oct 15, 2013

PERFUME - SCENT FOR THE SOUL
















Another grey day  and there are end of financial year sales everywhere. As I stare out the window, I think to myself, I would really like to go out and see what perfumes are on special I could probably pick up a good bargain, as these sales seem to be ongoing.

As I look down at my bowl of forest berry muesli and warm milk I can smell the sweet fruitiness wafting up to greet me. How delicious! This is comforting food for a cold dreary day, like the breakfast’s my mum used make for me as a child. Just the smell of it warms me.

 Our olfactory sense and taste buds are harmoniously inter connected, and all of
this triggers memory. We can’t fully taste without smell and taste and smell reminds us of thing past. The scent of the juicy berries mixed with the creamy oats and vanillery milk is heavenly and has helped put a smile on my face.
 OK time to get dressed and see what’s available in the shops. Showered, dressed, quick face and hair make over and I’m off. It’s funny how just the smell of the warm breakfast has lifted my spirits. It’s true, scents can alter moods.
As I approach the perfume counter, there is a heady scent of apple, amber and vanilla in the air. I turn around to see a perfume representative spraying a test card with a new fragrance that’s just been launched. “Would you like to try Donna Karen ‘Delicious Night?’

She says. As I thank her and test the scent I envisage a warm summer night sitting in the backyard in the country (yes I was a little bit country in my younger years) under the fruit trees, laughing with my friends and family, sipping on a summer drink. What a wonderful memory. As I land back to ‘here and now’ I move on to look for the bargain section.

 It’s noisy and busy with assistants helping customers with their enquiries. ‘What do you normally like to wear?’. I hear one assistant ask, as the customer trials and tests one or two perfumes. I overhear another girl say to her friend, standing with another bottle in her hand. ‘This reminds me of custard tart, I love my grandma’s custard tart’, 
 Fruity florals,  oriental vanillas, gourmands. Perfumes today have become more food orientated.Think of the chocolate, caramel overtones of Thierry Mugler's Angel or the fruitiness of Marc Jacob's Dot.


 In the 1950’s & 60’s it was chic for ladies to smell like bouquets of flowers and men to smell like fresh lemon and spice.





 Now some of the most popular scents are an intoxicating blend of chocolate, vanilla, coffee & exotic fruits and flowers.
 Food has always been a comfort. How often have you heard the term ‘emotional eater’? Our emotions & memories are connected to two of the major senses we have. That is: taste and smell.

As I look around I see and old familiar perfume, Chanel 19. This used to be my best friend most favourite scent back when we were young and crazy. I remember her 21st birthday party, the room was filled with this fresh citrus aroma as we laughed, drank & danced… and I smile. At this point I'm feeling quite satiated, like I've just finished the best meal I have ever had!
 I contently walk around viewing all these beautiful bottles of memories and it dawns on me.

 Perfume is comfort food for the soul...... but without the calories.....






Thierry Mugler Angel available @ David Jones and Myer Melbourne
Donna Karen Delicious available @ David Jones and Myer Melbourne
Marc Jacob's Dot available @ David Jones and Myer Melbourne
Jean Patou Joy available @ David Jones
Channel No 19 available @ David Jones and Myer Melbourne




Written by Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment